Foreign ceramics

Information
More than 2000 items.
This section is represented by the products made in the end of XVIII - beginning of the XXI century at the factories of Western Europe.

The beginning of the collection of foreign porcelain were the items (over 100 units) received from the collections of the Museum of Old Petersburg (founded in 1907) and the Museum of the City (founded in 1918). These items include vases, decorative dishes, plates, dinner sets, tea and coffee couples and were carried out at foreign state and private enterprises. In the Museum's collection there are the products of the Copenhagen, Meissen and Sevres plants, Staffordshire factories, ceramic productions of Dowlton and Minton. This is the most well-known large enterprises.

Significant group consists of little-known shops and factories that existed briefly — from 2 to 10 years. Many of them did not put their marks on objects but inflicted the trademarks of agencies that were required in the period to sell the product.

Russia and the West always had historical, economic and political ties. Because of that many homes of the citizens obtained the products of ceramic enterprises of England, America, Germany, Holland, Denmark, Poland, Finland, France, Czech Republic, Sweden, as well as in private apartments in the West you can find the articles of Russian porcelain plants.

Objects of applied art of the Western Europe often became the models. Many Russian factories started with copying artistic samples from Germany and France. In turn, foreign masters produced artworks for Russia, mainly souvenir species with the views of the Russian cities — St. Petersburg, Odessa, Moscow. The interest of Europe for Russia was associated with the rapid growth of Russian cities (for example Petersburg and its surroundings), as well as the interest for the ancient monuments of the Orthodox Russian cities.



← Back to section